Red Cat Blue Cat
"Red Cat and Blue Cat lived in the same house. Blue Cat stayed upstairs. Red Cat stayed downstairs. Whenever they saw each other-- 'hiss, yee-ow, scratch' it was NOT good. Not good at all."
Thus begins Jenni Desmond's riotous look at jealousy, friendship, and the power of being true to yourself.
Desmond's illustration style is so full of emotion- I couldn't resist imitating her style and trying to bring a couple of these grumpy cats to life. All you need is a sheet of paper, scissors, and some crayons!
1. Print the Red Cat Blue Cat Template
2. Color both sides of the paper your desired cat colors. Each vertical strip will be a different cat. Stick with blue and red or choose whatever you like! We just used crayons for this project to keep things simple, but you could use paint, oil pastels, colored pencils.... whatever!
3. Cut out your "cat" strips
4. Following the template lines, cut out the "ears" on one side and the "legs" on the other
5. Fold up your cat along the dotted lines as shown below:
6. Draw your cat face as grumpy as desired
7. Glue the bottom of the cat face to the top of the legs:
8. Take that little strip of paper you cut from the legs, give it a curl with your fingers, and glue it on for a tail!
That's it! After you've made your Blue Cat and Red Cat, try a Yellow Cat! Or a Green Cat! A Rainbow Glitter Cat! Our copy of Red Cat Blue Cat may be turned back into the library, but at least we have a whole herd of grumpy cats as a consolation prize.